Tuesday, May 19, 2015

I'm stepping out in faith. Are you?

Have you ever stepped out in faith?

I mean,...ever?

My guess is that you live a pretty cushy lifestyle.


Just the fact that you’re reading this tells me that you have access to a computer, you were educated to the point that you can read, and you have enough free time in your day to read through this piece. 

See what I mean? Cushy. 

So tell me. Pretend I was standing the socially acceptable 3 feet away from you, looking into your soul, and asking, 


“Have you ever stepped out in faith?”

You would most likely step away slowly and try to find an excuse to walk away from crazy-pants V. Not because you’re a bad person; because you’re normal. And to normal people, acting on our faith scares us to pieces. 

And that’s ok. It’s ok to be scared, terrified even. What’s important is that we do it anyway. 

About 3 years ago, I wrote the following in my journal, 


...But tonight as I was sitting on the hood of my car staring at the moon, God told me to write. Write it all down. I protested, ‘But God, I don’t know what to write about. I have nothing to say.’ He replied with a quiet yet forceful, “Write, Vanessa. Write.” Still, I complained, “But GOOOoood. You don’t understand. I can’t have anyone reading my work. It will never be worthwhile.” So He reminded me of Moses. When God told Moses to speak to Pharaoh to let God’s people go, Moses made excuses. He said he was not eloquent. He said he was not good at speaking. Still God told him to go. Just go. So Moses did go, and he ended up being a great Israelite leader. I pray God will use me to lead others. Through my pain and my joys, my suffering and my success, I pray that you, dear reader, will find God’s glory in your own life.”

I wrote that three years ago! 


What have I been doing for the past 3 years? Not doing what God told me to do, of course. 

God told me to write, and ever since then, I’ve been running away from his command for me to do so, giving excuses like, I don’t know what to write about. I don’t have time. No one will want to read it.

But guess what? That doesn’t matter. God didn’t ask me what I thought. It wasn’t a suggestion. He wasn’t asking me if I felt like it or thought it sounded fun. He commanded it of me. 

I have to keep reminding myself that my gifts and talents are not my own. Through nothing that I have done, do I have the talent to write. Through nothing I do, will my words reach out to those that need to hear them. 

It’s not up to me to decide if what I write is good and helpful. My job is to follow through on what God has very clearly instructed me to do and leave it up to Him to reach those that should hear it.  It’s my job to write with a heart that is focused on Christ, and to allow him to work through me. 

I’m a vessel and I’m (finally) stepping out in faith. Are you?