Monday, June 8, 2015

Am I Seeking Glory for Myself?



I have teamed up with Daughter of Delight to write a devotional once each week. It will appear first on Daughter of Delight and Instagram, but I will also post them here. 


In the age of social media, we obsess over how many likes our Instagram photos receive and how many followers we can collect. We strive to be seen by people instead of by God, but according to 2 Peter 3:18, our job is not to let our names be known, "but [to] grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and forever! Amen." God’s word says to Him be the glory, not us. This is hard, especially when it is so easy to become consumed by what others think and obsessed with seeking the approval of our peers.

Francesca Battistelli sings, “I don’t need my name in lights. I’m famous in my Father’s eyes.” We might jam out to this song in our car by ourselves, but we don’t actually believe that we don’t need social attention. We are so enslaved by our longing to be seen and heard that we forget it is God whom we should be pointing to instead of ourselves. God wants to root out our self-centered tendencies so he can use us for our purpose. So while you’re singing your heart out today, ask yourself: Where am I seeking glory for myself instead of growing in the grace and knowledge of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ? Let the Holy Spirit convict you and guide you toward glorifying God instead.