Thursday, July 23, 2015

Leading Beyond Perfectionism


I’m full-on obsessed with reading blogs, watching videos, and listening to podcasts of Christian women speakers and writers.

But lately I’ve been perplexed, because some of these women are fighting a battle foreign to me.

They say that they are perfectionists.

 Let me tell you, I am definitely not.

I am generally laid back, go with the flow, sure you can borrow my favorite sun dress kind of gal.

I’ll let you pick the restaurant we go for lunch, and honestly, I don’t think it really matters if it is just a pinch or 1/4 teaspoon of salt when making an entire batch of cookies.

When I read about a woman’s battle with perfectionism, I become anxious.

 I equate perfectionism with the ability to lead.

This is not something I just made up. Leadership is commonly equated with highly motivated, strong-willed, super-achievers. This sends the message that if you don't battle perfectionism, you're not cut out for leadership.

Though this is not true, it sometimes feels true. And this feeling has held me back from believing my worth.

I know I am not alone in this. All women were not created the same, which means not all women were created to be Type A with a tendency toward perfectionism.

To those more laid back women, I want to say, "you are ok."

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with you. It doesn’t mean you’re flawed or that you have an inability to serve the Lord. There is nothing wrong with your womanhood because you don’t battle perfectionism.

It means you have the ability to look beyond imperfect details and to take time to see the beauty of the whole picture. You can see and create beauty from imperfection and use it to encourage the women and loved ones in your life.

However, this laid back personality comes with its own battles. 

Being type B sometimes crosses the line into complacency or laziness. When control is not your problem, the lack of control can be.

There is a balance. At one end of the spectrum, wanting too much control and perfection is not good, but at the other end of the spectrum, not caring enough is also detrimental.
                                           
We must put effort into taking care of our lives, our bodies, and our relationships enough, so they don’t spin out of control or control us instead.

Just as the woman who wants too much control must tone it down, laid back women must have enough gumption to put forth effort when it’s required.


Just as the woman who seeks God daily to remind her that he is ultimately in control, we must seek God to show us where to put our efforts to best glorify him.