Friday, September 4, 2015

What to do when You Feel Overwhelmed


There are some days where I can see pain so clearly.

I scroll through my Instagram feed and I see people longing to be seen, to be heard, and essentially, to be loved.

When the pain is palpable, my heart aches, because I know that what that person needs is the ground-shaking, life-changing love of Christ.

I'm paralyzed by the need. There is just so much pain. 

There are so many people chasing fame, money, human connection, and an escape from their life.

There are extreme examples of people in pain, like drug or alcohol addiction, but today, those aren't the ones breaking my heart. 

I feel the weariness behind the Instagram page of the model who is addicted to the limelight, the actress who is not sure who she really is behind the makeup and designer clothes, the girl in my high school whose identity is wrapped up in her career, and the YouTube star that lives for social media shares.

Sometimes God places something so heavy and overwhelming on your heart, and you just don't know where to start.

That's how I feel right now. I don't know how to reach out to these broken people, most whom I don't even know.

How do we reach a generation that is starving for an ounce of truth? How do we break down walls of post modern world views? Where do I even begin?

I ask this, not because I want you to tell me to just "pray about it," or "hand it over to God."

I want to ponder. I want to feel the pain of a broken world, and I want it to spur me to incredible, divine action. 

May we not become numb to the brokenness of this world. May we not brush off the pain we see around us with trite phrases such as, "pray about it," but may we be spurred on to real, heart-quenching change. May the overwhelming amount of pain in this world remind us that we have the cure. We have an all-powerful, loving, forgiving, grace-abounding God.

So today, as I see overflowing brokenness, I feel small and overwhelmed. But my God is big, and powerful, and all knowing, and all seeing, and He's got this. 

He's got me, He's got you, and He's got a plan, and all we have to do is say yes to that plan day after day.