Thursday, September 29, 2016

The importance of words


I love days like today. Days when different parts of yourself come into alignment and you realize that seemingly unrelated things are connected, and you learn something deep and honest and true about yourself.

We mostly refer to these moments as revelations, and they matter. They help us define and recognize ourselves.

Today, I stumbled upon my realization because I was trying to think of things I'm thankful for. My husband and I try to do this frequently. We find that we are happier when we talk about what we're grateful for.

I was thinking about what I love, and here are some of the things I listed:

I love to listen to speakers. I love to read. I love to sit and chat about matters of the heart with close friends. I love stories. I love watching television and movies, and I love getting letters and emails from family and friends. I love music with meaningful lyrics and writing letters to those I love.

And then it hit me. All of these things are related. Most things I love involve words of some sort. The string that ties together most of my loves is words.

This really should not surprise me. Most people who enjoy writing have a great love of words. But, I don't just love words, I believe they bring life, healing, happiness, and meaning.

I believe the Bible when it says in Luke 6:45, "The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks."

Your words are the overflow, the bubbling over, the spillage from your heart.

It simply makes so much sense that I love words.

Words indicate what is truly going on in someone's life. A person's words reveal their true self. They are the biggest clue into how a person is truly doing. I love this.

I love cutting to the very core of how a person is doing, how they are feeling, what they are learning, and how they are handling the struggles and barriers in their life.

Maybe you're like me and words are magical to you.

Or maybe you're not like me and you think actions speak louder than words.

Regardless, your words are important and you should pay close attention to them.

What you hear yourself saying is an indication of what is on your mind and the condition of your heart.

In the coming weeks, I'll write about words. How they can improve your relationships, how they can heal, how they can affirm, and how they can destroy.

So, stick around, tell me what you're thinking and learning about. I'd love to hear from you.